Year: 2018

There are several ways that a person can be held without a bond in Florida state courts. In this article I will walk you through them.

Re-Arrested While On Pre-trial Release

The first and most common way that people end up in custody without a bond is because they are re-arrested on a new criminal offense while on pre-trial release for a criminal offense.  When this happens the person will be held at the bond hearing on the new charge for them to go in front of the original judge who will then revoke their bond on the original case.  A judge always has discretion to reconsider setting a bond after revoking a person’s bond and a lawyer can file a motion to have the judge re-evaluate all the circumstances and issue a new bond.

Non-Bondable Offense

A person can also be held without a bond if they are arrested for what we call “non-bondable offenses.”  These are offenses that carry a maximum penalty of life in prison or death.  If a person is arrested on a non-bondable offense he or she will be held without a bond until a hearing is held.  This hearing is called an Arthur hearing.  At the Arthur hearing the prosecutor will need to prove that the person is guilty of the charged offense by a standard called “proof evident, presumption great.”  It is a standard that is higher than proof beyond a reasonable doubt.  If the prosecutor cannot meet that burden at the hearing the judge has to set a reasonable bond.  Even if the prosecutor can meet that standard, however, the judge still has the discretion to set a bond.  This is why it is important that your lawyer request an Arthur hearing on your behalf.

Probation Violation

A person can also be held without a bond while pending a probation violation hearing.  A probationer who is accused of violating his or her probation is not entitled to a bond pending the violation hearing.  A lawyer, however, can still file a motion with the court asking the court to consider some form of release pending the violation.  Although these motions are rarely granted, it might trigger the court to become involved towards facilitating a resolution to the violation with the prosecution and may result in the probationer being reinstated sooner than the hearing date.

If you or a loved one are facing the possibility of being held without a bond for a criminal offense give us a call or enter your information on the form in this page for a free consultation.  We would love to help.


We wanted to start this blog on verdicts and settlements as a tool to assist attorneys value their cases. These awards do not mean that your personal injury case will have the same value as each of the cases mentioned below, but, by aggregating these verdicts and settlements, we begin to get a general idea what juries and adjusters may do. We also learn about some of the defense verdicts out there, which helps us understand which arguments and factual combinations are least effective.  Today we bring you a negligent security verdict.

Trying cases to a jury is an art, not a science. Therefore, what you are able to obtain for your client is largely related to your jury, the facts of your case, and your ability to put together a passionate and persuasive story. May we all try more cases to juries, for receiving an award from your peers is the best kind of justice.



Facts: On April 19, 2014, Steve Long was at a Waffle House in Ft. Myers when he was attacked and robbed by three assailants. Plaintiff argued that Waffle House lacked security in an area known for rampant crime. The restaurant argued that Mr. Long was negligent for refusing to give the assailants his money or car keys, and denied that the area was known for crime. The Defense also raised questions as to Mr. Long’s credibility as a result of some contradictory testimony about the incident.

Injuries: Mr. Long suffered facial fractures and minor traumatic brain injury.

Award/Settlement: The jury found Waffle House liable for the Plaintiff’s injuries and awarded $907,212.

Venue: U.S. District Court, Fort Myers

Cause of Action: Negligent Security

Case: Long v. East Coast Waffles, 2:16-cv-00322-PAM-MRM


One of the lessons I have had to learn as a civil plaintiff’s attorney is how difficult it can be to collect money from defendants … even after they signed a written settlement agreement. My goal in this article is teach you how to properly close a lawsuit (pursuant to a settlement) so that you can easily file a motion and have the judge enforce the settlement.


If you want the judge to be able to enforce the judgment, you must close the case in a way where the judge retains jurisdiction. If the Plaintiff dismisses his/her own case with prejudice (as many settlement agreements demand), then the judge forever loses jurisdiction on that case and CANNOT enforce that case’s settlement. MCR Funding v. CMG Funding Corp., 771 So.2d 32 (4th DCA 2000); Dandar v. Church of Scientology Flag Service Organization, 190 So.3d 1100 (2nd DCA 2016). So, DO NOT dismiss your own case with prejudice unless you want to have to file a whole other lawsuit (breach of contract) to enforce your settlement.

Here is the simplest and easiest way to ensure that the judge retains jurisdiction to enforce the settlement:

  1. Have the judge enter an order of dismissal.
  2. Include the following language in the order of dismissal “This Court reserves jurisdiction to enforce the terms of the settlement agreement.” Dandar, 190 So.3d 1100.

Here is a more complicated (and therefore less desirable) way to ensure that the judge retains jurisdiction to enforce the settlement follows:

  1. Bring your settlement agreement to the judge for her to review.
  2. Have the judge enter an order of dismissal.
  3. Write the order of dismissal in a manner that incorporates the settlement agreement into the order. MCR Funding, 771 So.2d 32;

Motion to Enforce Settlement

The motion itself is fairly simple and straightforward. You need to make sure you include the following three (3) items in your request for relief: (1) enforce the settlement agreement, (2) movant interest, and (3) attorney’s fees associated with bringing the motion to enforce (assuming your settlement agreement allows for attorney’s fees to enforce the agreement).

The body of the motion can be pretty short. You must state (1) what you and the defendant agreed to (the part the defendant breached) and (2) that the defendant breached your agreement and how the defendant breached the agreement.

I like to include a Statement of Facts that includes a timeline of the end of the case, the settlement agreement, and the breach. I make sure to include dates that I contacted the defendant to ask them to perform their portion of the contract for two reasons: (1) because professional courtesy demands contacting opposing counsel before getting the court involved (it’s always possible that opposing counsel made a good faith mistake) and (2) because, if it does go to the judge, you look good because your were being courteous and professional.


I recently went through a situation where the defendant and my client agreed to settle a case for a certain amount of money. We announced it in open court. The judge entered an order dismissing the case with prejudice. And then we waited for the defendant to pay us. And we waited. And waited.

The settlement agreement called for us (the Plaintiff) to dismiss the case with prejudice once the settlement agreement was executed. However, the judge became impatient and entered the order of dismissal on her own initiative. Luckily for us, her order specifically reserved jurisdiction to enforce the terms of the settlement agreement. So, after an inordinate amount of time and many unreturned emails and phone calls, we emailed the defendant our motion to enforce and let them know we would file it within a week if we did not have checks in hand. And wouldn’t you know it, the check miraculously appeared after three (3) days.

All in all, it took a number of months from the day we announced in open court that we had settled the case to the day that the defendant paid what they agreed to pay.  I had always thought that, as a lawyer, the legal work was the most difficult part of the job. I have since learned that collecting money from defendants can be even more difficult.

In conclusion, if you are going to dismiss your case pursuant to a settlement agreement, have the judge enter an order of dismissal. Make sure that order of dismissal specifically reserves jurisdiction to enforce the settlement agreement. And be courteous to opposing counsel. Chances are you will be able to work the issue out without having to involve the court.


For most people, being arrested and being forced to navigate the criminal justice system is a scary proposition.  Knowing what to expect can ease this anxiety.  Every criminal case develops in the same way after the prosecution has decided to prosecute the case.  Once the prosecution has levied charges against a person that person has two options: option 1) take the case to trial before a jury of his or her peers, option 2) reach a deal with the prosecution.

I. Trial

If a person chooses trial, the prosecution has to prove the accusations beyond every reasonable doubt to a jury before the person can be convicted.  A good defense attorney can make sure that the jury sees all the evidence in the case that can help the defendant, and in that way increase the chances of an acquittal.

II. Plea

If a person chooses to not take the case to trial, then the person has to make a deal with the prosecution.  In Miami Dade County there are three typical resolutions to a case.  If a person has no previous contacts with the criminal justice system the person will usually qualify for the Pre-trial Intervention program (PTI).  To go into the PTI program in Miami Dade the person is not required to plea guilty to the charges.  Once the person completes the program the prosecution will dismiss the charges against the person.  PTI is the best resolution to a criminal case because it does not carry a risk of conviction or jail time.

The next potential resolution to a criminal case is a probationary sentence.  A probationary sentence can come with a conviction or with a withhold of adjudication, which does not result in a conviction.  While there are many different conditions of probation that a person may be require to abide by, the typical conditions of probation are random drug tests, submission to warrantless searches by a probation officer, reporting requirements, community service hours, and not leaving the county without permission.

The third potential resolution to a criminal case is a straight time sentence.  In this scenario the person pleads guilty to the charge and proceeds to serve a jail or prison sentence.  Upon completion of the jail or prison sentence the person is done with the case and has no additional requirements.

The fourth potential resolution to a criminal case is what is called a split sentence.  In this scenario the person pleads guilty and is sentenced to jail or prison time, to be followed by a probationary sentence.  In this scenario once the person finishes his or her jail sentence the person is under the supervision of a probation officer and has probationary conditions to abide by.

In any event, a person who violates probation is subject to the maximum penalty he or she would have been subjected to if he or she was convicted at trial.  This means that a person who violates probation can be sentenced up to the maximum sentence allowed by law for the charge regardless of how long or how short the original probationary period was.

If you or a loved one is navigating the criminal justice system give us a call.  We would love to help.